Tour in the locality
The first time that Berlin was mentioned
Was in the middle of the 12th century. After the 30 years war (1618-48) a bastion with fortification was erected for protection and 13 gates gave access to the city. The most famous gate is the Brandenburg Gate. The fortification was pulled down in 1735.
Used to be called Feldmark and was in front of the gates of Berlin. Trade routes used to run through the area, for example in the direction of Hamburg - Großer Hamburgerstraße, and in the direction of Oranienburg - Oranienburgerstraße.
Große Hamburger Straße,
runs through the middle of the Spandauer Vorstadt. Spandauer Vorstadt means the town before the city gates in the direction of Spandau.
is a protestant parish church and was built in 1712-13 as a classical brandenburger parish church. The baroque steeple was added in 1729-35 and is the only preserved baroque steeple left in the town. In 1892 the Sophien Church was refitted with a new baroque look and the church entrance was laid from the Sophienstrasse to the Grosse Hamburgerstrasse.
Jewish Boys School,
a new building was erected in 1863 and the facade, which can be seen today, was constructed in 1906.
Jewish Old Peoples Home,
was founded in 1829. From 1941 it was used as a collection point by the Gestapo to transport more than 50 000 Jews to the concentration camps. In 1945 the home was destroyed.
is the oldest Jewish cemetery in and around Berlin. 12, 000 people were buried here between 1672 and 1827. Moses Mendelsohn was buried there in 1786. In 1943 the Gestapo ordered the destruction of the cemetery. In 1945, during the Allied bombardment of Berlin, the area was used as cemetery again to bury the 2500 dead from the surrounding streets.
which means "my treasure", was set in the royal garden in the middle of the 17th century. In 1717, after further reconstruction, it was declared the most beautiful palace of the royal residence. Unfortunately the palace was demolished in 1960 due to the damage caused to it during the 2nd World War.
in the palace grounds was consecrated in 1885 and was in use until 1939. In the 1950?s it was pulled down.
is a former trade route through the Feldmark in the direction of Oranienburg. The road is wide because is was constructed as a road for the military.
With a classical facade was built in1791 and sold to the imperial post office in 1898. In 1962 it was restored. At the entrance there is Socrates on the left and Seneca on the right.
was built in1866 by the architect Knoblauch. It should have been burnt down by the Nazis but they were prevented by Krützfeld, the district commander at the time. In 1943 the synagogue was damaged by air raids, but in 1988 it was restored as a memorial to the injustice inflicted on the Jewish people.
Post Office Headquaters
The post office was built in 1705 and in 1875-81 a more representative building was built by the architects Tuckermann and Schwatlow. The main room in the building is now used by artists.
Package Post Office vis a vis,
Was built in the same design, but was destroyed in the was. The new building was used during East German times as the In